In this section you’ll find publications, white papers and articles written by MCP staff, interns and external contributors. Most articles relate to the subject matter we study and work with, namely conservation, marine biology and scientific diving. As a research centre employing scuba diving, we also find it natural that some of the articles relate to scuba diving safety, equipment, training and methodology.
Kindly note most of these articles, especially those on scuba diving, are intended for a wide audience, and we fully encourage our contributors to write their articles in plain English.
Some of these articles are merely informational, others are technical or scientific while a third group are opinion pieces. Please don’t confuse one for the other. Anything presented in articles, especially those of an editorial nature, are the thoughts of the individual authors – if we feel markedly differently about issues or need to comment as an organisation – Marine Conservation Philippines will add commentary as an appendix.
Scientific Articles and white papers
- 2015 Hinagdanan Cave Survey Report Prepared with SUAKCREM under JICA program
- 2016 The Role of Nursery Habitats in the Effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas in the The Philippines with Wageningen University by Dirkje Verhoeven
- 2016 The Effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas in the South-eastern part of Negros Oriental with HAS University of Applied Science by Jorien van Schie
- 2016 Increasing the Resilience of Marine Ecosystems Creating and Managing Marine Protected Areas in the Philippines – An Overview by Karin Post
- 2017 An Evaluation of Coral Reef Restoration Methods Restoration methods relevant to South East Negros conditions – by Abigail Mickelfield, BODC
- 2017 Impact of Sea Level Rise on Tropical Coastal Ecosystems Examining ecosystem resilience With Siit Bay, Negros Oriental as case study by John-Gareth Phillips
- 2017 Fish Survey Baseline Report For RVS fish surveys done in 2015-2016 on 9 locations in Dauin, Zamboanguita and Siaton. By Annelies Andringa-Davis
Articles on Scuba Diving safety and equipment
- 2015 DIN or Yoke Regulators A discussion of the relative merits of two different regulator systems by MCP Founder, Soren Knudsen
- 2015 Scuba diving and the Sixth Sense No mystical powers, it’s all about familiarity with dive equipment and gas management by MCP Founder, Soren Knudsen
- 2015 Why do some divers dive alone? A discussion of motives, opportunities and hazards in self reliant diving by MCP Founder, Soren Knudsen
- 2016 Dive Computers and The Magic Bracelet Syndrome An important reminder about what dive computers are and aren’t by Gary N. Toups, MD
- 2016 Air Integrated Dive Computers A candid look a diving myths regarding air integration by MCP Founder, Soren Knudsen
Opinion pieces on Environment
- 2015 Choosing a bigger Evil A discussion on the safety of nuclear energy with surprising figures and conclusions by MCP Founder, Soren Knudsen